Welcome to the Gen Plus Blog

It's a backstage pass to info on jobs and life at 50+. Gen Plus, headed by Janet Wendy Spiegel, is dedicated to baby boomers and the plus generation of age 50 and older. Read up and speak out on issues affecting your future: jobs, income, life and respect.

About Me

My photo
Northridge, California, United States
Successful businesswoman, consultant, entrepreneur. I operate two businesses -- social media consulting, AND premium pet care services in the West San Fernando Valley. Love what I do, love life.

Gen Plus has relocated to www.GenPlusUSA.com

Saturday, October 20, 2007

Gen Plus Town Hall Forum

It's official. Our forum in LA in January has a home. Here are the details:

What:

A very different town hall/forum event than you'd expect and probably than you've ever experienced -- very informal in tone (open, friendly, accessible), but with a formal agenda.

Focused on issues that Boomers and 50 Plus are facing in job search, career issues and reinvention at this next stage. Experts will be there to provide a much needed resource. You will be expected to participate in the spirit of community.

All of us will walk away with value-added information and ideas to get you going for 2008. I'll follow up the email with an electronic recap of ideas generated for all who attended.

Fee:

None. (However, please plan on spending at least $5 each on a menu item to help the venue recoup their costs of supporting us with staff.)

How is that possible?

Because I'm donating my time in order to mobilize the energies of disenfranchised and/or frustrated jobseekers/career reinventors, to wake up employers, and to give a helping hand in the best way I can...by sharing resources with all of you. This program is a portion (but a good one) of a 1-day program that I do charge for.

Because I have the support of a local business who believes in this cause (our venue).

Because it is needed.

Because there are other communities who would like me to set something like this up for them, but I need to see what your voices need to share.

Because this is an election year and what you are experiencing is very, very important in shaping the next decade.

Because I really care about the challenges facing Boomers and 50 Plus in the job market...looking at another 20 -25 years of needed income and few willing to make the hires right now.

When:

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Time:

2:00 - 4:30 pm. We'll want to go longer, but that is the limit on the venue availability. I've chosen this time and this date because it is a light traffic day in Los Angeles. If you currently work and would like to attend, plan on calling in for an afternoon off and get proactive.

Where:

The very lovely Balboa Encino Clubhouse. We'll have the deli-style restaurant all to ourselves, along with table service, a very reasonable and yummy menu, and some 50 plus staffers, too! The grounds are lovely, so plan on a few extra minutes if you want to stroll along the path around the gorgeous Balboa Park or head over to Balboa lake for a visit with the ducks! (Once I have your reservation, I'll be forwarding you address and driving directions.)

How to sign up?

Quickly. I've started getting reservations and we've got limited space available in this venue. Simply send me an email at wspiegel@genplususa.com along with your name, correct email address and best phone number to reach you. Reservations are being taken on a first-come, first-served basis, so if you'll need more than one spot, please let me know in your request. We have very limited seating, but I'll start taking a wait list once we're full in case I'm able to get more space. If you plan on coming in from out of town, please let me know. I'll have slightly different instructions for you.

A big thank you to Balboa Encino Restaurant for their support and help. Can't wait to hear from you. Let's get going.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great idea. Wish I lived in LA...are you coming to the Boston area at all?

Bev Mahone said...

Wendy,

That's a fantastic idea and one I plan to follow in April 2008 with a Baby Boomer Girlfriends Retreat in Daytona Beach, FL.

It will be an empowerment weekend filled with lots of fun!

We've also been blessed to have the local PBS station there to tape a "Baby Boomers in the New Millennium" Town Hall meeting during the weekend event.

It would be great to have your expertise there.

Cynthia Samuels said...

This is just excellent - no surprise that excellence emerges from you, though. I'm sending the link to all my LA pals. Sooner or later we have to bring it to DC!

Janet Spiegel said...

Thanks for all the kind words! Requests so far for a Gen Plus Forum in Boston, Atlanta, Chicago and DC. I'm waiting for an invite for Hawaii :)!

Love to find out more (and I will) about the Boomer weekend in Daytona. And Cynthia, a big thank you for spreading the word!

Wendy