Welcome to the Gen Plus Blog

It's a backstage pass to info on jobs and life at 50+. Gen Plus, headed by Janet Wendy Spiegel, is dedicated to baby boomers and the plus generation of age 50 and older. Read up and speak out on issues affecting your future: jobs, income, life and respect.

About Me

My photo
Northridge, California, United States
Successful businesswoman, consultant, entrepreneur. I operate two businesses -- social media consulting, AND premium pet care services in the West San Fernando Valley. Love what I do, love life.

Gen Plus has relocated to www.GenPlusUSA.com

Saturday, September 01, 2007

Labor Day -- for the "working man"

Wikipedia gives a great, concise description of Labor Day:

" United States federal holiday that takes place on the first Monday in September. The holiday began in 1882, originating from a desire by the Central Labor Union to create a day off for the "working man". It is still celebrated mainly as a day of rest and marks the symbolic end of summer for many. Labor Day became a federal holiday by Act of Congress in 1894." (For the full entry, click on the link.)

I'd like to take my hat off to all of you, Gen Plussers (Baby Boomers and 50 plus), who have visited here and at my group on Eons over the past years. For many of you, finding a new job, or changing jobs at 50 or thereabouts, has been a struggle far beyond what you ever could have imagined. I've received hundreds of emails and comments from many of you who are unable to find gainful employment. I'm not even talking about meaningful employment...really...just employment. A big shout out to two employers who have opened their jobs on Gen Plus to 50 plussers -- HNTB and Kelly Services.

For those of you who are working, enjoy a well-deserved day off. For those of you searching for employment, able, ready and willing to work, this will mark the start of a fresh search in the busy fall months ahead. Enjoy your last days of summer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm one of those not working (I'm looking for a job)...but I'm going to take the day off and celebrate all the years I DID actively contribute to the work force.

Janet Spiegel said...

Good for you. Hope you enjoyed it! And best of success in your job search.

Wendy