Welcome to the Gen Plus Blog

It's a backstage pass to info on jobs and life at 50+. Gen Plus, headed by Janet Wendy Spiegel, is dedicated to baby boomers and the plus generation of age 50 and older. Read up and speak out on issues affecting your future: jobs, income, life and respect.

About Me

My photo
Northridge, California, United States
Successful businesswoman, consultant, entrepreneur. I operate two businesses -- social media consulting, AND premium pet care services in the West San Fernando Valley. Love what I do, love life.

Gen Plus has relocated to www.GenPlusUSA.com

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Delegates, electoral college, popular vote...ayay.

As a fairly new American (I'm a transplanted Canadian), I am proud to take part in the election process. However, I'm used to the Canadian system, which is pretty straightforward (at least I think so!) In the Canadian system, you vote for your Member of Parliament. The majority of MPs who are elected then are the leading party. The leader of the leading party becomes the Prime Minister.

So, in my second foray into the election process in the US, I have to admit I've been thoroughly confused. Between the popular vote, the different rules in delegate apportioning between the parties, and the non-requirements of the electoral college delegates I'm in a tizzy. I realize that my vote counts/doesn't count, the delegates pledge or don't pledge their alliances and a heck of a lot of money gets spent in the process. 50% plus 1% of the delegates means what exactly?

Am I missing something here? Is it really a very easy system that my Canadian formed brain cannot get my thoughts around? Help. Puhleeeze. I'm fascinated, can't pull my eyes away from the news coverage, but I think I may need to pursue a PhD in Political Science. I mean...I get it, but I don't GET it.

2 comments:

thesavvyboomer said...

Couldn't agree more. I also posted something similar on my blog

Anonymous said...

No. I actually majored in Political Science(the useless half of a double major), and the delegate process is highly confusing. Seriously, I know lawyers and people who work at government offices who look as if they'd like to cry when the talk comes up.

Being as I live in Indiana, by the time our little primary rolls around, the nominations are usually locked up. Therefore, I don't care.

Dangerous statement when it comes to voting, but surprisingly, I sleep well at night.

Now, to the best of my knowledge, the electoral college is simply a way to be 'old school', and occasionally screw people with their pants on.

It's really kind of ridiculous, but we didn't invent it. In religious purposes(for bishops and presbyters), the tradition goes back to almost 300 AD.

I have found some history, but I can't seem to find the reason why we use it. I'm simply going to assume that like 1700 years ago, going door to door and counting votes would hurt.

In short, at one point the electoral college may have been for convenience, but now I think it's just needless.